Ilford town centre shoppers to get 20 minutes of free parking
- Credit: Archant
A scheme to bring free parking to Redbridge in an effort to boost trade has started.
Redbridge Council began rolling out the scheme at its on-street pay and display bays last week, with 30 minutes free everywhere except Ilford Town Centre, where there will be 20 minutes free.
Councillor Baldesh Nijjar, cabinet member for environment, said: “We promised residents and businesses that we would make changes to ensure parking was a cheaper and simpler affair in the borough and we are doing just that.
“We want to encourage people to use our shops and local businesses and we know that parking fees can be the difference between someone making the journey to their local business or choosing to take their money elsewhere. With that in mind we’re happy to make these changes.”
Tariffs on machines will be changed over the next few weeks.
You may also want to watch:
The council said motorists would still need to get a ticket from a machine – taking into account the free period – or face a penalty charge.
The RingGo pay by phone service is expected to be available at a later date.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
Visit www.redbridge.gov.uk/parking for more details.