Ilford Tamil councillor offers help to shot five-year-old’s family
A Tamil councillor is appealing for help in tracking down the family of an Ilford girl shot in the chest after getting caught in the middle of a gang dispute.
The five-year-old, understood to be called Thusa Kamaleswaran, is fighting for her life in hospital after being shot in the chest.
A 35-year-old shopkeeper was shot in the head during the incident in Stockwell Food & Wine Shop, Stockwell Road on Tuesday.
Labour Cllr Thavathuray Jeyaranjan, of Stainforth Road, Newbury Park, said: “I’ve heard she’s from my ward and I want to meet with the family and offer whatever help I can give.
“There’s a Tamil meeting in Ley Street [Ilford] on Saturday so I may be able to find out more then.”
According to reports, the youngster was visiting relatives who own the shop.
Det Chief Insp Tony Boughton urged witnesses to come forward.
- 1 Pair charged with creating fake Covid vaccination records
- 2 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 3 London among areas where drought is declared
- 4 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 5 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 6 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
- 7 Five tower blocks included in housing plans for Sainsbury's in Ilford
- 8 Fairlop man locked up for rabbi assault
- 9 Jailed: Ilford fraudster involved in £13m Ponzi scheme through property fraud
- 10 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
He said: “This is a terrible incident where an innocent child has been seriously injured.
“We want to hear from the local community, who might have seen these youths cycling around the estate between 9pm and 10pm.
“I appeal to those who have information or were involved in this shooting to come forward and assist us with this investigation.
“These criminals have seriously injured two innocent bystanders and must face the consequences of their actions.”
It is believed two youths ran into the shop shortly before the shots were fired.
The two youths, who police believe were the intended targets, ran from the shop and chased the three others who were on bikes, running off along Broom Grove Road.
Witnesses or anyone with information are asked to call police on 0300 123 1212 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.