Ilford synagogue applauds Cllr Alan Weinberg MBE appointment
- Credit: Archant
The Ilford synagogue which councillor Alan Weinberg attends has welcomed the announcement he has been appointed an MBE in the New Year’s Honours.
Cllr Weinberg, the cabinet member for children’s services, has been a borough councillor for Redbridge for 32 years, was awarded the gong for his services to the wider community and education.
Fellow Conservative councillor, Ashley Kissin, who attends the Ilford Federation Synagogue in Clarence Avenue, like Cllr Weinberg, said: “I am happy for him. He has done a lot of work in the local community.
“Since I found out I phoned him and gave him my congratulations and I wished him ‘Mazel Tov’.
Brian Ash, editor of the Ilford Federation magazine, added Cllr Weinberg helped all the borough’s faith communities - not just members of the Jewish faith.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Alan Weinberg is a senior figure. He wants to show he is even handed with any community [in the borough].
Mr Ash also spoke of the role Cllr Weinberg played in the building of the Holocaust Memorial Gardens in Valentines Park, Cranbrook Road, Ilford, 12 years ago.
- 1 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 2 Woodford Green bomb scare declared false alarm
- 3 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 4 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 5 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 6 Lorry driver cleared over elderly couple's crash deaths, inquest hears
- 7 Clouds, rain and sunny intervals: East London weather forecast this week
- 8 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 9 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 10 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
“He had a lot of support from churches - a large contingent wanted the memorial put up,” said Mr Ash.
“He has been mayor, one would expect him to be high profile.”
Councillor Weinberg held the position of Mayor of Redbridge in 2001/02.