Ilford student who helps young disabled people is March’s Young Citizen winner
- Credit: Archant
An 18-year-old who helps young disabled people after being inspired by her experience with her autistic brother is our first Young Citizen winner of the year.
A panel of judges chose Grace Davies, a Year 13 student at The Ursuline Academy, Morland Road, Ilford, as the March winner of the Recorder/Redbridge Rotary Club award, sponsored by Exchange Ilford.
Grace has given up her time for the past three years to set up and then help to run the Truecolours project – a social club for disabled and non-disabled people at the Mildmay Community Centre in Albert Road, Ilford.
One of the judges, Eve Conway-Ghazi, the district governor of Rotary in London, said: “She’s an inspirational teenager. She’s used her own experience of helping her autistic brother and expanded that to help other young disabled people and realised the problem they face with having a social life.”
The A-level student, who wants to become a nurse, supported her older autistic brother Hugh, now 23, by volunteering at play schemes when they were growing up.
You may also want to watch:
Having pitched in with the Redbridge Forum charity’s holiday scheme for disabled children, Grace and four other volunteers were approached by the charity to set up a group for disabled teenagers.
Grace said: “Sometimes the young people, when they come, they’re very quiet and introverted. But they enjoy themselves and make new friends.”
- 1 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 2 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 6 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 7 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 8 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 9 Wanstead rugby youngsters return to action with a win over rivals Woodford
- 10 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
Chris Merritt, the director of Redbridge Forum who nominated Grace, said: “This is excellent news. She is a deserved winner and it is great to see her recognised for the hard work she has done.”
Grace has won £40 in vouchers to spend at Exchange Ilford and is now in the running for our annual award.