Ilford star student goes to Israel on science scholarship
A young scientist from Ilford County High School has been awarded a scholarship to a prestigious university in Israel.
Vincent Poon, who has just finished his A Levels, left on Sunday with nine other students from across the UK to study at the Weizmann Institute of Science.
He will take part in research projects for three weeks before travelling around Israel.
Head of sixth form Colin Jenkins said: “Vincent is an excellent student. He’s always loved physics and been very good at it, maths as well.
“He took astronomy as an extra GCSE and taught it to the younger boys.
You may also want to watch:
“We are expecting him to do very well in his A Levels. He’s a good all-rounder but he doesn’t blow his own trumpet.”
Vincent was hand-picked by leading professors from University College London and Bristol University for the scholarship.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 2 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 9 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 10 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
He will be starting a degree in Natural Sciences at Cambridge University in October.
Students are chosen from around the world for the Weizmann summer programme.
Visit www.weizmann.org.uk to apply for next year’s scheme.