Ilford star student goes to Israel on science scholarship
A young scientist from Ilford County High School has been awarded a scholarship to a prestigious university in Israel.
Vincent Poon, who has just finished his A Levels, left on Sunday with nine other students from across the UK to study at the Weizmann Institute of Science.
He will take part in research projects for three weeks before travelling around Israel.
Head of sixth form Colin Jenkins said: “Vincent is an excellent student. He’s always loved physics and been very good at it, maths as well.
“He took astronomy as an extra GCSE and taught it to the younger boys.
You may also want to watch:
“We are expecting him to do very well in his A Levels. He’s a good all-rounder but he doesn’t blow his own trumpet.”
Vincent was hand-picked by leading professors from University College London and Bristol University for the scholarship.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 9 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 10 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
He will be starting a degree in Natural Sciences at Cambridge University in October.
Students are chosen from around the world for the Weizmann summer programme.
Visit www.weizmann.org.uk to apply for next year’s scheme.