Ilford star student goes to Israel on science scholarship
A young scientist from Ilford County High School has been awarded a scholarship to a prestigious university in Israel.
Vincent Poon, who has just finished his A Levels, left on Sunday with nine other students from across the UK to study at the Weizmann Institute of Science.
He will take part in research projects for three weeks before travelling around Israel.
Head of sixth form Colin Jenkins said: “Vincent is an excellent student. He’s always loved physics and been very good at it, maths as well.
“He took astronomy as an extra GCSE and taught it to the younger boys.
You may also want to watch:
“We are expecting him to do very well in his A Levels. He’s a good all-rounder but he doesn’t blow his own trumpet.”
Vincent was hand-picked by leading professors from University College London and Bristol University for the scholarship.
- 1 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 2 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 3 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 6 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 7 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 8 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
He will be starting a degree in Natural Sciences at Cambridge University in October.
Students are chosen from around the world for the Weizmann summer programme.
Visit www.weizmann.org.uk to apply for next year’s scheme.