Ilford sink Clacton to gain promotion after last-rink drama
Ilford indoor bowls team just secured promotion after a tense winner-takes-all clash with Clacton.
Going into the match they knew they had to take a minimum of 11 points of the 13 on offer.
At home it was a close contest on Dave Waters’ rink, involving Bryan Kelly, Jock McCabe and John Pluck as they edged to a 19-16 victory, despite being six shots behind with only two ends remaining.
The other two rinks weren’t quite so close as Dave Betts, Barry Holbrook, Steve Simpson and Tony Seago secured a 30-14 win on their rink, whilst Paco Rodrigues, Rod Hudson, Bob Druce and Mick Bevis also won comfortably 21-13.
Away from home it was a much tighter affair as Paul Whellams’ rink, which also included Russell Hughes, Keith Tyler and Ian Scammell, won a tough match 22-19.
You may also want to watch:
It was also close as Simeone Madgwick edged his rink alongside Mitch Brenner, Paul Woodford and Colin Sinclair 17-14.
It all came down to the last rink, skipped by Chris Granger with Gerry Weiland, Colin Foster and Terry Litchkin.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 5 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals
- 6 TV's Ben Shephard opens island themed playground at children’s hospice
- 7 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 8 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
- 9 Councillor's year-long running challenge ends with £1.2k foodbank donation
- 10 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
And although they lost it 25-24, they had the overall score win at both venues and was enough to secure the 12-1 overall win needed to pip their opponents to the second promotion place.