Ilford sink Clacton to gain promotion after last-rink drama
Ilford indoor bowls team just secured promotion after a tense winner-takes-all clash with Clacton.
Going into the match they knew they had to take a minimum of 11 points of the 13 on offer.
At home it was a close contest on Dave Waters’ rink, involving Bryan Kelly, Jock McCabe and John Pluck as they edged to a 19-16 victory, despite being six shots behind with only two ends remaining.
The other two rinks weren’t quite so close as Dave Betts, Barry Holbrook, Steve Simpson and Tony Seago secured a 30-14 win on their rink, whilst Paco Rodrigues, Rod Hudson, Bob Druce and Mick Bevis also won comfortably 21-13.
Away from home it was a much tighter affair as Paul Whellams’ rink, which also included Russell Hughes, Keith Tyler and Ian Scammell, won a tough match 22-19.
You may also want to watch:
It was also close as Simeone Madgwick edged his rink alongside Mitch Brenner, Paul Woodford and Colin Sinclair 17-14.
It all came down to the last rink, skipped by Chris Granger with Gerry Weiland, Colin Foster and Terry Litchkin.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 3 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 4 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
And although they lost it 25-24, they had the overall score win at both venues and was enough to secure the 12-1 overall win needed to pip their opponents to the second promotion place.