Ilford sink Clacton to gain promotion after last-rink drama
Ilford indoor bowls team just secured promotion after a tense winner-takes-all clash with Clacton.
Going into the match they knew they had to take a minimum of 11 points of the 13 on offer.
At home it was a close contest on Dave Waters’ rink, involving Bryan Kelly, Jock McCabe and John Pluck as they edged to a 19-16 victory, despite being six shots behind with only two ends remaining.
The other two rinks weren’t quite so close as Dave Betts, Barry Holbrook, Steve Simpson and Tony Seago secured a 30-14 win on their rink, whilst Paco Rodrigues, Rod Hudson, Bob Druce and Mick Bevis also won comfortably 21-13.
Away from home it was a much tighter affair as Paul Whellams’ rink, which also included Russell Hughes, Keith Tyler and Ian Scammell, won a tough match 22-19.
You may also want to watch:
It was also close as Simeone Madgwick edged his rink alongside Mitch Brenner, Paul Woodford and Colin Sinclair 17-14.
It all came down to the last rink, skipped by Chris Granger with Gerry Weiland, Colin Foster and Terry Litchkin.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 5 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 9 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
And although they lost it 25-24, they had the overall score win at both venues and was enough to secure the 12-1 overall win needed to pip their opponents to the second promotion place.