Ilford shooting: Week left for people to have say on future of heavily criticised Krystel club
People wanting to have their say on the future of a club closed down after a man was shot through the abdomen have less than a week to make their submissions.
Krystel Banqueting, in High Road, Ilford, was closed down last Thursday because it could have been the scene of “immediate and violent retaliation” following the shooting.
A 22-year-old man was shot while on the club’s dancefloor at around 4.40am on February 26 after a drunken brawl.
He is now in a stable condition in hospital.
The venue’s management was branded “inept and incompetent” in a damning report to the council by Pc John Brady, a Redbridge licensing officer.
You may also want to watch:
He said management has been “all too keen to shirk responsibility and shift blame”.
Mr Brady said: “Police have no trust in this current regime to do the right thing.”
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 3 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
- 7 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 8 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 9 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 10 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
The licensing committee, which gathered last week in Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, heard how the police investigation has been hampered because no CCTV was working at the club and of failings in how the venue was run.
Stuart Walker, a council legal officer who delivered the committee’s decision, said: “We consider there is a serious risk of immediate and violent retaliation or other acts of serious crime and disorder at the premises.”
Representations on the licence review of the venue, in relation to it “failing to prevent serious crime and disorder”, must be submitted to Redbridge Council by Wednesday, March 14.
They can be submitted by emailing email@example.com, or by writing to: Licensing Authority, Perth Terrace, Perth Road, Ilford, Essex, IG2 6AT.
The full licence review must take place by March 28.
Around 100 people were in the venue at the time of the shooting.
No arrests have been made and Operation Trident Gang Crime Command investigators are not ruling out that the shooting was gang-related. A doorman was also shot at the venue 14 months ago but was not seriously hurt.
The licence holder, Mohibul Hoque, of Canterbury Avenue, Ilford, went to Bangladesh following the shooting and it has not been possible to contact him.