Ilford school has a bright future
Excited children, their headteacher and an artist have unveiled a neon sculpture in an art deco building.
The vibrant artwork, the Heart of the World of Neon, which was officially launched on Wednesday, will sit in the 1930’s glasshouse in the playground of Uphall Primary School, Uphall Road Ilford.
It was built as a collaboration between the pupils and the artist Sally Labern as part of the Creative Partnerships scheme, and symbolises a community with different cultures and ideas bound with a big red heart.
Teacher and art coordinator Debbie Copping said: “This was all about the children leading the project and creating the design.
“Now they are really proud, they could never have imagined how their ideas have been transformed. They are all talking about it.”Children at the school visited art exhibitions to come up with ideas over the six month production period. They then used wire, coloured drawings, tissue and glitter to provide a backdrop for the artwork.
You may also want to watch:
Artist Sally Labern said: “This was a hugely involving project inspired by direct art making, big ideas and community events, sharing the children’s voices. It is a window of optimism.”
The project had to overcome a number of problems, including a funding shortfall, before it was finally completed. The sculpture will be on display in the glasshouse until it is moved into the main Victorian school building.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 3 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 6 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 7 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 8 'Very challenging': Ilford businesses still struggling months after return
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Which venues have been crowned Redbridge's Hospitality Heroes?