Ilford runner encourages all faiths to get behind his New Year’s resolution
- Credit: Archant
Most people want to get into running each year but one Ilford Sikh has decided on a New Year’s resolution with a difference.
Harmander Singh, 54, of Wellesley Road, is going to run 365.25 miles with the helps of eight different faiths in the borough for the community group Redbridge Faith Forum.
The distance will be clocked up by doing a lap - around one and a half miles - of Valentines Park. The event is called “Going The Extra Mile For Peace”.
Mr Singh said: “I think the work the Redbridge Faith Forum do is fantastic and it is sad they do not get as much financial support as they need.
“You can’t have too much harmony between faiths.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Singh is appealing male and female runners of all abilities from eight different faiths: Baha’i, Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Islam, Jain, Jewish and Zoroastrian to join him.
Mr Singh added: “To me running is passion, and until [Mayor of London] Boris Johnson makes pedestrians pay the congestion charge it is free.”
- 1 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 2 Ilford GP criticises NHS patient data sharing plans
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 Ilford's Mercato Metropolitano to open in November
- 5 Man with Hainault links wanted on recall to prison
- 6 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 7 Man jailed after gun and cocaine worth £1m found at Ilford home
- 8 Pupils prepare for summer singing festival at Kenneth More Theatre
- 9 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 10 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
Mr Singh has trained both Fauja Singh - the world’s oldest marathon runner - and Team GB Paralympian Louise Simpson.
Runners are asked to contact Mr Singh to “arrange a mutually convenient time” to complete the lap.
For more information on the year-long event, email Mr Singh at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07958 94 6868.