Ilford runner encourages all faiths to get behind his New Year’s resolution
- Credit: Archant
Most people want to get into running each year but one Ilford Sikh has decided on a New Year’s resolution with a difference.
Harmander Singh, 54, of Wellesley Road, is going to run 365.25 miles with the helps of eight different faiths in the borough for the community group Redbridge Faith Forum.
The distance will be clocked up by doing a lap - around one and a half miles - of Valentines Park. The event is called “Going The Extra Mile For Peace”.
Mr Singh said: “I think the work the Redbridge Faith Forum do is fantastic and it is sad they do not get as much financial support as they need.
“You can’t have too much harmony between faiths.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Singh is appealing male and female runners of all abilities from eight different faiths: Baha’i, Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Islam, Jain, Jewish and Zoroastrian to join him.
Mr Singh added: “To me running is passion, and until [Mayor of London] Boris Johnson makes pedestrians pay the congestion charge it is free.”
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 7 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
Mr Singh has trained both Fauja Singh - the world’s oldest marathon runner - and Team GB Paralympian Louise Simpson.
Runners are asked to contact Mr Singh to “arrange a mutually convenient time” to complete the lap.
For more information on the year-long event, email Mr Singh at email@example.com or phone 07958 94 6868.