Ilford social club elects new president for 2022
- Credit: Ilford Probus
A new president has taken up the reins at a social group.
Ilford Probus has elected Alan Turner to take over from Tony Barclay as its president for this year.
Tony said: “The Probus includes men from all walks of life, retired people mostly. We have social outings. We have speakers come. The ladies come in summer-time and Christmas-time.”
Alan added: “We’ve got some vacancies at the moment. Any gentlemen that are retired and want to come along would be more than welcome to join us.
"We’re a very friendly bunch of people.”
When asked what his plans for the year were, Alan said: “We hope to keep memberships flourishing. I also get to choose a charity for the year; I’m selecting Pitt Hopkins UK.
Pitt Hopkins is a very rare syndrome with a variety of symptoms, such as learning difficulties, seizures and episodes of unusual breathing patterns.
- 1 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 2 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 3 Commission ends safeguarding probe into charity
- 4 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 5 Lightbulb likely cause of Khartoum Road house fire
- 6 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 8 Update: Sixth arrest following killing of Michael Ugwa
- 9 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
- 10 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
The charity is close to home for Alan, who said: “Pitt Hopkins is a rare disease that a relative of my wife has suffered from."
The social group meets every first Friday of the month at Luigi’s Italian restaurant in Ilford.
For more information on the society, contact Tony on 07752622779.