Ilford ‘pillar of Hindu community’ Raj Chanan dies
A funeral for Raj Chanan, described as a pillar of support in the community, is being held today.
Mr Chanan, who died this week, was chairman of Ilford Hindu Centre. Cleveland Road, Ilford.
Centre committee member Ravi Bhanot said: “Raj was a larger than life character. He was able to communicate to people young and old and made them feel listened to.”
Mr Chanan, who was in his late 70s, became chairman in 1995 and oversaw many new projects.
Mr Bhanot said: “He was the type of person who made things happen, and his contribution to the community was enormous.”
You may also want to watch:
A funeral service will be held today at 2pm at the City of London Crematorium, Aldersbrook Road, Manor Park. Afterwards there will be a ceremony at the VHP Temple, Cleveland Road, starting at 3.30pm.
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 6 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 7 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 8 EV charging hub launched in South Woodford as ULEZ expands
- 9 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 10 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford