Ilford ‘pillar of Hindu community’ Raj Chanan dies
A funeral for Raj Chanan, described as a pillar of support in the community, is being held today.
Mr Chanan, who died this week, was chairman of Ilford Hindu Centre. Cleveland Road, Ilford.
Centre committee member Ravi Bhanot said: “Raj was a larger than life character. He was able to communicate to people young and old and made them feel listened to.”
Mr Chanan, who was in his late 70s, became chairman in 1995 and oversaw many new projects.
Mr Bhanot said: “He was the type of person who made things happen, and his contribution to the community was enormous.”
You may also want to watch:
A funeral service will be held today at 2pm at the City of London Crematorium, Aldersbrook Road, Manor Park. Afterwards there will be a ceremony at the VHP Temple, Cleveland Road, starting at 3.30pm.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 5 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 6 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 7 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest