ILFORD MURDER: Appeal for up to 30 witnesses to come forward

No one has come forward with information on the murder of a teenager in Ilford, despite as many as 30 people having potentially key information about what happened.

Det Ch Insp John Macdonald, who is leading the investigation, has spoken to the Recorder this afternoon about the death of 17-year-old Kelvin Chibueze, who was stabbed in a car park opposite Ilford Police Station, High Road, at 4am yesterday.

The youngster was among a group celebrating a friend’s birthday at a premises off High Road when an argument spilled out on to the street.

Mr Macdonald said officers in Ilford Police Station rushed out of their building after seeing bottles being thrown and shouting between two groups of people in a nearby car park, which belongs to outlets including Lidl.

But the crowds dispersed, with some fleeing in cars.

You may also want to watch:

It was then that Mr Chibueze, of Croydon, was found.

He died hours later in the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel.

Most Read

Mr Macdonald said: “You’d expect a number of people would have come forward but no one has.

“People disappeared straight away.

“It underlines some of the difficulties we’re facing.

“We may have to end up going through CCTV images and getting IDs from that.

“People can come forward to speak to us or we will print the images.

“If they want to speak to us in confidence, I’m happy to speak to them.”

He said two people arrested near the scene for unrelated offences have also been “uncooperative” to detectives trying to piece together yesterday morning’s events.

Mr Macdonald confirmed Mr Chibueze was stabbed with a knife and added weapons, including knives, have been found at the scene.

It is not yet known if they are connected with the murder.

The officer said CCTV images have captured some of the disturbance, adding 15 to 20 people were involved, with a similar number witnessing the confrontation.

Mr Macdonald added: “People might be reassured to know that it looks like this was a dispute between party goes for reasons as yet unknown.

“It was not a random attack.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3985 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter