Ilford man who almost died after 70ft fall defies the odds by completing marathon
A man who fell five storeys from the balcony of a friends’ flat on to the concrete pavement and miraculously survived has completed a marathon to mark the anniversary of his fall.
Sam Kean, 21, of Auckland Road, Ilford, took four hours and 45 minutes to complete the Belfast Marathon on Monday in gruelling wet and windy conditions, raising money for the hospital that treated his injuries.
On May 7 2011, Sam was admitted to St Mary’s Hospital in Praed Street, west London, after the 70ft fall.
He was in a coma for 22 days and came close to dying. He suffered head injuries, a fractured pelvis, punctured lungs and broken elbows and ankles.
After defying all expectations, Sam was back at work as an accounts assistant before he was supposed to have been out of bed and has recovered well.
You may also want to watch:
He can’t remember the fall.
He said of the run: “It was amazing. I was hoping for a bit of a faster time, but once I started to walk it was hard to get running again.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 3 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 4 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
“One of my ankles that I broke started playing up and my pelvis had given me problems at the beginning, but eased up during the race.
“My family flew out with me for the run and they really helped me get round.
“The accident is always going to be there, but the marathon has made a point that I am fully recovered now and can draw a line under it.
“I have now got to think what’s next for me. I think I’m going to do the ski instructor exams I was planning on doing before.”
Sam raised �1,500 with an estimated �200 still to be officially added to his total.
n To add a donation to Sam’s running total, visit www.justgiving.com/sam-kean