Ilford man jailed after being caught trying to pickpocket woman in London Tube station
- Credit: Archant
A would-be pickpocket from Ilford who was caught trying to steal from a woman’s handbag has been jailed.
Nicusor Iordache, 42, of Forsythia Close, was sentenced to nine months and six weeks in prison at Blackfriars Crown Court on Tuesday.
He pleaded guilty to attempted theft and failing to comply with licence conditions following a previous prison sentence.
At around 3pm, Iordache was caught trying to steal from a woman’s handbag at Monument underground station.
A British Transport Police spokesman said a plain clothed officer was patrolling Tower Hill station and saw Iordache “loitering” in the booking hall and watching customers queuing at ticket machines.
You may also want to watch:
He was then seen following a woman with her handbag open through the ticket barriers and onto a train.
A spokesman said: “The officer followed the pair and arrested Iordache at Monument station after he saw Iordache put his hand into the victim’s bag.”
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 7 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 8 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 9 Man charged in connection with alleged police car ramming in Ilford
- 10 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
Investigating officer PC Alban Barnes said BTP’s pickpocket officers were “the best in the world”.
He advised people zip up bags, keep jewellery, mobile phones and MP3 players hidden and stay alert.