Ilford man arrested after threatening to set himself alight
A man has been arrested under the explosives act after he threatened to set fire to himself in a car.
Firefighters from Ilford were called at about 8pm last night after the man made the threat in St John’s Road, Newbury Park. The fire crew remained on standby at the scene for about an hour while trained police negotiators spoke to the man and eventually overpowered him.
The 42-year-old man, who was found with a quantity of petrol, remains in custody today.
Jim Jobson, watch manager at Ilford Fire Station said: “Fortunately this is a very rare incident.
“We were there in case he did set himself alight, but the police managed to control the situation.”
You may also want to watch:
Did you witness this accident? Call the newsdesk on 020 8477 3821.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 3 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 6 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 7 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 8 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 9 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London