Ilford Lane police operation sees 20 arrests made in first two weeks
- Credit: Archant
A police exercise hoping to crack down on prostitution on Ilford Lane is already showing promising results after just two weeks.
Since operations began on July 10, 25 cautions have been given and 31 stop and searches carried out.
Officers have also made 20 arrests for offences including assault, drink driving, and drug dealing.
In a bid to try and clear up the area, 50 dispersal notices have also been issued, ordering people to leave.
On Friday, police officers held a public meeting to discuss the problem, with a number of local politicians including Ilford South MP Mike Gapes.
You may also want to watch:
Held in the street to enable everyone to have their say, it was the second such meeting in as many months.
Sgt Matt Taylor of the Clementswood, Loxford and Mayfield neighbourhood policing team said: “This has been a concerted effort from officers across the East Area to address the issue.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
“We will continue address crime in the area and tackle prostitution with a strong visible presence.”