Ilford Lane police operation sees 20 arrests made in first two weeks
- Credit: Archant
A police exercise hoping to crack down on prostitution on Ilford Lane is already showing promising results after just two weeks.
Since operations began on July 10, 25 cautions have been given and 31 stop and searches carried out.
Officers have also made 20 arrests for offences including assault, drink driving, and drug dealing.
In a bid to try and clear up the area, 50 dispersal notices have also been issued, ordering people to leave.
On Friday, police officers held a public meeting to discuss the problem, with a number of local politicians including Ilford South MP Mike Gapes.
You may also want to watch:
Held in the street to enable everyone to have their say, it was the second such meeting in as many months.
Sgt Matt Taylor of the Clementswood, Loxford and Mayfield neighbourhood policing team said: “This has been a concerted effort from officers across the East Area to address the issue.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 3 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 4 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 5 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 7 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 8 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 9 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 10 Hainault woman celebrates 100th birthday with mayoral visit
“We will continue address crime in the area and tackle prostitution with a strong visible presence.”