Ilford is home to two of London’s busiest buses according to overcrowding report
Redbridge passengers are squeezing on to two of the busiest buses in London, according to a report on overcrowding.
The 25 bus from Ilford to Oxford Circus is the busiest route in the capital, packing on an average 64,152 people a day – the equivalent of a full crowd at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium.
It was featured on BBC Two documentary Route Masters earlier this year, which followed drivers through the night.
The 86 bus from Romford to Stratford was the ninth most overcrowded with 33,207 passengers a day.
On its journey through Chadwell Heath, Goodmayes, Seven Kings and Ilford it gets busiest in Romford Road.
You may also want to watch:
Both routes have seen tens of thousands more passengers in the last decade and demand is set to continue rising.
The report to the London Assembly’s transport committee urged Transport for London and Boris Johnson to address overcrowding.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 3 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 4 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 5 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 7 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 8 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 9 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 10 Hainault woman celebrates 100th birthday with mayoral visit
Chairman Val Shawcross said: “They must ensure there are adequate plans to support the capital’s growth.
“Bus users deserve to continue to enjoy a world-class bus network rather than endure overcrowding.”