Ilford is home to two of London’s busiest buses according to overcrowding report
Redbridge passengers are squeezing on to two of the busiest buses in London, according to a report on overcrowding.
The 25 bus from Ilford to Oxford Circus is the busiest route in the capital, packing on an average 64,152 people a day – the equivalent of a full crowd at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium.
It was featured on BBC Two documentary Route Masters earlier this year, which followed drivers through the night.
The 86 bus from Romford to Stratford was the ninth most overcrowded with 33,207 passengers a day.
On its journey through Chadwell Heath, Goodmayes, Seven Kings and Ilford it gets busiest in Romford Road.
You may also want to watch:
Both routes have seen tens of thousands more passengers in the last decade and demand is set to continue rising.
The report to the London Assembly’s transport committee urged Transport for London and Boris Johnson to address overcrowding.
- 1 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 2 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 3 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 4 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 5 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 6 Thames Water says its drainage systems did not fail during flash floods
- 7 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 8 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
Chairman Val Shawcross said: “They must ensure there are adequate plans to support the capital’s growth.
“Bus users deserve to continue to enjoy a world-class bus network rather than endure overcrowding.”