Ilford hotel bookings fall short of Olympic expectations
Olympic visitors are not realising the Redbridge’s close proximity to the Olympic Park, according to an Ilford hotel manager, leaving rooms unreserved with just over two weeks to go until the start of the Games.
Hotels in Ilford still have many rooms available during the Olympics and Paralympic Games, which were expected to be snapped up earlier this year after a promising start.
A manager of a hotel chain in Ilford, who did not want to be named, said: “Its going to be very busy during the Olympics, however we did expect to be booked up at this point with only a few weeks to go.
“Many of our other hotels are already fully booked, including our Stratford branch, with group and company bookings, but it seems as if people haven’t realised how close Ilford is to the Olympic park.”
The Recorder reported in January that rooms were being booked up fast with many hotels expecting to be fully booked in the upcoming months.
You may also want to watch:
The manager added: “Hotels in London’s Docklands and Liverpool Street are booked up but are further away and it is easier to get from Ilford to the Olympic venues by train.”
Alex Serari, manager of the Britannia Inn Hotel, Mansfield Road, Ilford, said: “We are almost fully booked during the Olympics and we expect to have all our rooms taken within the next few weeks which we are really happy about.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 3 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 4 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 5 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
“We have increased our prices as every hotel has in London, but the amount depends on the date.”
In December, Ilford was named the fastest growing holiday destination by travel website Trip Advisor, due to its close proximity to the Olympic borough of Newham.
A spokesman for the Best Western Hotel, Argyle Road, Ilford, added: “We still have availability and rates start from �105 per night but differ depending on the dates during the Olympics.”