Ilford has got the X Factor this Christmas
IT’S NOT every day an X Factor star takes to the steps of Redbridge Town Hall.
But Steve Brookstein, winner of the TV talent show in 2004, wowed unsuspecting Christmas shoppers on Saturday as he performed a selection of songs and signed autographs with his wife Eileen Hunter
The singer’s appearance marks the first of five weekend events set up by town centre managers to celebrate Christmas.
Diana Norton, town centre coordinator, said the day had set a precedent for the coming five weekends of entertainment, which town centre bosses chose instead of the traditional Christmas tree switch-on the town centre has seen for the past four years.
“The town hall steps were the perfect place for Steve to perform. It created real ambiance and a great atmosphere.
“We want people to know that Ilford is open for business and a great place to shop this Christmas.”
Lined up for December 4 is a family day, where children and parents can take part in go-karting outside Waterstones in the town centre, and meet Father Christmas, who will be giving out presents every half hour.
- 1 Ten businesses crowned winners at inaugural Ilford South Business Awards
- 2 Pan-Asian noodle bar opens on Ilford High Street
- 3 Student nurse charged with alleged rape
- 4 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 5 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 6 Second Redbridge crime enforcement hub launches in Hainault
- 7 Covid vaccine - one year on: London boroughs among worst for jab rates
- 8 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
- 9 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 10 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns