Ilford has got the X Factor this Christmas
IT’S NOT every day an X Factor star takes to the steps of Redbridge Town Hall.
But Steve Brookstein, winner of the TV talent show in 2004, wowed unsuspecting Christmas shoppers on Saturday as he performed a selection of songs and signed autographs with his wife Eileen Hunter
The singer’s appearance marks the first of five weekend events set up by town centre managers to celebrate Christmas.
Diana Norton, town centre coordinator, said the day had set a precedent for the coming five weekends of entertainment, which town centre bosses chose instead of the traditional Christmas tree switch-on the town centre has seen for the past four years.
“The town hall steps were the perfect place for Steve to perform. It created real ambiance and a great atmosphere.
You may also want to watch:
“We want people to know that Ilford is open for business and a great place to shop this Christmas.”
Lined up for December 4 is a family day, where children and parents can take part in go-karting outside Waterstones in the town centre, and meet Father Christmas, who will be giving out presents every half hour.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals
- 6 TV's Ben Shephard opens island themed playground at children’s hospice
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 9 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'