Ilford Golf Club mourns death of ‘big character’ John Elmore after heart attack
A member at Ilford Golf Club described as a “big character” has died following a heart attack.
John Elmore, 61, a member for five years at the club in Wanstead Park Road, Ilford, died on Monday night after battling bowel cancer.
Mr Elmore, a cab driver who lived in Barking, was “very popular” at the club, according to its captain, Ian Morgan.
Mr Morgan said: “He will be deeply missed.
“He was quite a big bloke.
You may also want to watch:
“He used to drive a golf buggy around and he was very accident prone. “We used to have quite a laugh about that. “The buggy kept breaking down and he’d have to push it back.”
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 7 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 8 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 9 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 10 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour