Ilford faith primary moots free school option
- Credit: Archant
A faith primary school run out of a Muslim community centre is putting together an application to become a free school, according to a trustee.
Addeen Primary School, in Oxford Road, Ilford, has around 110 pupils - at both nursery and primary level - but trustee Bashir Chaudhry is keen to expand and start accepting secondary pupils at a new site.
He said: “We are doing well but in a very tight space at the moment.
“It is a well received school, well behaved and the teachers are doing a great job with limited resources.
“But it is not fair for the children to develop their skills and character.”
You may also want to watch:
Addeen Primary School is one of three independent faith schools in the borough along with Al Noor Primary School, in Green Lane, Goodmayes, and Apex Primary School, in Argyle Road, Ilford.
“It is a lengthy process - it may take a few years for us to open, if we are accepted by the Department for Education (DfE),” he added.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening