Ilford drummer launches new single with Britain’s Got Talent semi-finalists, the Jive Aces
- Credit: Archant
Having become the first ever live band to reach the semi finals of Britain’s Got Talent last year, followed up with a performance for Her Majesty The Queen during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, the Jive Aces are converting everyone to their very own style of music.
With the release of their latest single, King of Jive, Ilford-born drummer, Peter Howell, talks to What’s On about the group’s unique sound, combining swing and rock and roll.
Peter said: “Our brand new single is taken from the album, King of the Swingers. The original song tells the story of the life and times of our hero, Louis Prima, who is best known as King Louis from The Jungle Book.”
The six-piece-band have worked with some of the top names in the business, including John Travolta, Status Quo, Isaac Hayes, Van Morrison, Count Basie Orchestra, Priscilla Presley, Tony Christie and Lee Evans to name just a few.
The 49-year-old said: “Me and the lead singer, Ian, first met at school in Billericay, but the band first came together about 16 years ago. I’d always liked jazz and 1940s R&B, which always seemed really happy. So much great music came out of that era.
You may also want to watch:
“As far as I aware, we were the first live band to get through to the semi-finals which was a great achievement. Simon Cowell loved our audition and the whole experience was a great opportunity which helped us take things to the next level.”
Seven studio albums later, the band are proud to have performed at some of the biggest events worldwide including the Glastonbury Festival and in Trafalger Square for the Paralympic Games.
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 5 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 6 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 7 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
Peter added: “One of the highlights for me has got to be playing at the Buckingham Palace Festival a few weeks ago as well as selling out a gig at the Royal Albert Hall.”
For more information on the Jive Aces and to find out where they are playing next, please visit www.jiveaces.com.
The band will also be headlining at Summertime Swing, in Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, West Sussex on Saturday. Please call 07947 156318.