Ilford drummer launches new single with Britain’s Got Talent semi-finalists, the Jive Aces
- Credit: Archant
Having become the first ever live band to reach the semi finals of Britain’s Got Talent last year, followed up with a performance for Her Majesty The Queen during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, the Jive Aces are converting everyone to their very own style of music.
With the release of their latest single, King of Jive, Ilford-born drummer, Peter Howell, talks to What’s On about the group’s unique sound, combining swing and rock and roll.
Peter said: “Our brand new single is taken from the album, King of the Swingers. The original song tells the story of the life and times of our hero, Louis Prima, who is best known as King Louis from The Jungle Book.”
The six-piece-band have worked with some of the top names in the business, including John Travolta, Status Quo, Isaac Hayes, Van Morrison, Count Basie Orchestra, Priscilla Presley, Tony Christie and Lee Evans to name just a few.
The 49-year-old said: “Me and the lead singer, Ian, first met at school in Billericay, but the band first came together about 16 years ago. I’d always liked jazz and 1940s R&B, which always seemed really happy. So much great music came out of that era.
You may also want to watch:
“As far as I aware, we were the first live band to get through to the semi-finals which was a great achievement. Simon Cowell loved our audition and the whole experience was a great opportunity which helped us take things to the next level.”
Seven studio albums later, the band are proud to have performed at some of the biggest events worldwide including the Glastonbury Festival and in Trafalger Square for the Paralympic Games.
- 1 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 2 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 New trees to be planted at Fairlop Waters
- 5 Former Met worker sentenced for stealing lost property cash
- 6 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 7 Woodford Green pupil reaches final of national science and engineering competition
- 8 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Redbridge tutor receives MBE
- 9 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 10 Redbridge pupils shortlisted in competition to design Olympic Park pavilion
Peter added: “One of the highlights for me has got to be playing at the Buckingham Palace Festival a few weeks ago as well as selling out a gig at the Royal Albert Hall.”
For more information on the Jive Aces and to find out where they are playing next, please visit www.jiveaces.com.
The band will also be headlining at Summertime Swing, in Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, West Sussex on Saturday. Please call 07947 156318.