Search

Ilford charity chief welcomes axing of ‘Go Home’ immigration vans which drove through Redbridge

PUBLISHED: 07:00 24 October 2013

One of the vans outside Seven Kings station during the pilot

One of the vans outside Seven Kings station during the pilot

Archant

An Ilford charity chief has welcomed the scrapping of the government’s controversial “Go Home” immigration vans.

Home Secretary Theresa May told MPs on Tuesday that the vans “were too much of a blunt instrument” in the crackdown against illegal immigrants.

Rita Chadha, chief executive of the Refugee and Migrant Forum of East London, High Road, Ilford, felt the vans – which were driven through Redbridge and five other London boroughs – made immigrants feel like criminals.

She said:“We are absolutely delighted that the government has realised the error of its ways.

“Our members have so far been delighted that the government has done this.”

“The government had labelled anyone who has wanted to come into the UK a criminal, which is totally unacceptable.”

Since being piloted in late July, the vans have been heavily criticised across the board – including by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).

The watchdog said that the vans were “inaccurate” after more than 200 people complained.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder