Ilford charity chief welcomes axing of ‘Go Home’ immigration vans which drove through Redbridge
- Credit: Archant
An Ilford charity chief has welcomed the scrapping of the government’s controversial “Go Home” immigration vans.
Home Secretary Theresa May told MPs on Tuesday that the vans “were too much of a blunt instrument” in the crackdown against illegal immigrants.
Rita Chadha, chief executive of the Refugee and Migrant Forum of East London, High Road, Ilford, felt the vans – which were driven through Redbridge and five other London boroughs – made immigrants feel like criminals.
She said:“We are absolutely delighted that the government has realised the error of its ways.
“Our members have so far been delighted that the government has done this.”
You may also want to watch:
“The government had labelled anyone who has wanted to come into the UK a criminal, which is totally unacceptable.”
Since being piloted in late July, the vans have been heavily criticised across the board – including by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).
- 1 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 2 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 New trees to be planted at Fairlop Waters
- 5 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 6 Former Met worker sentenced for stealing lost property cash
- 7 Woodford Green pupil reaches final of national science and engineering competition
- 8 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Redbridge tutor receives MBE
- 9 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 10 Man jailed after gun and cocaine worth £1m found at Ilford home
The watchdog said that the vans were “inaccurate” after more than 200 people complained.