Ilford boss moves for Nigerian youth international
ILFORD manager Colin Walton has added three new faces to his squad as they continue to battle against relegation from the Ryman North First Division.
Former Nigerian under-23 international AJ Olatunbosun comes in to shore up the Foxes defence and is joined by Laurie Walters from Walton Casuals and Nathan Gordon from Tilbury.
All three are expected to make his debut in Saturday’s trip to fourth placed Maldon & Tiptree and Walton is confident the trio will get off to a winning start.
“They play very open, so I will be very disappointed if we can’t score against them,” he said.
“I fancy our chances against Maldon, I think anyone would. They are doing well, but have conceded 50 goals this season.”
You may also want to watch:
Ilford were held to a 1-1 draw in a friendly with Barking on Saturday, which saw Olatunbosun get some much-needed playing time ahead of the crucial run-in.
With 14 games remaining and Ilford desperate for points, Walton hopes his new signings can make the difference and help secure the points to avoid the drop.
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 5 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 6 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 7 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
- 8 'Scrapping Universal Credit uplift will lead to poverty', MP says
- 9 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 10 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
“The friendly was mostly for one or two of the fringe players, but it allowed us to give AJ some match practice and he stood out,” said Walton.
“He trained with Nigeria before the World Cup, he’s an excellent defender.
“Our biggest problem has been scoring goals this season, but Nathan’s a good striker.”