Ilford boss moves for Nigerian youth international
ILFORD manager Colin Walton has added three new faces to his squad as they continue to battle against relegation from the Ryman North First Division.
Former Nigerian under-23 international AJ Olatunbosun comes in to shore up the Foxes defence and is joined by Laurie Walters from Walton Casuals and Nathan Gordon from Tilbury.
All three are expected to make his debut in Saturday’s trip to fourth placed Maldon & Tiptree and Walton is confident the trio will get off to a winning start.
“They play very open, so I will be very disappointed if we can’t score against them,” he said.
“I fancy our chances against Maldon, I think anyone would. They are doing well, but have conceded 50 goals this season.”
You may also want to watch:
Ilford were held to a 1-1 draw in a friendly with Barking on Saturday, which saw Olatunbosun get some much-needed playing time ahead of the crucial run-in.
With 14 games remaining and Ilford desperate for points, Walton hopes his new signings can make the difference and help secure the points to avoid the drop.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 6 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 7 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 8 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 9 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
“The friendly was mostly for one or two of the fringe players, but it allowed us to give AJ some match practice and he stood out,” said Walton.
“He trained with Nigeria before the World Cup, he’s an excellent defender.
“Our biggest problem has been scoring goals this season, but Nathan’s a good striker.”