Ilford born man who stole £1.2million jailed for five years
A man has been jailed for five years for the theft of a security van containing £1.2million two decades ago.
Eddie Maher, 57, was jailed at Southwark Crown Court yesterday after spending 20 years on the run in the US.
He was arrested for immigration and firearms offences after the US authorities were informed of his whereabouts by his former daughter-in-law.
Maher stole a Securicor van he was driving from outside a bank in Suffolk.
He was born in Ilford and his mother Elsie lived in Barkingside until her death a few years ago. He was one of 12 children.
You may also want to watch:
Prosecutors are looking for three possible accomplices, including Maher’s brother Michael Maher, as well as Michael Sulsh and Terrence Bender.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening