Iain Duncan Smith: 'We need a policing hub in South Woodford'
Iain Duncan Smith MP, Chingford and Woodford Green
- Credit: Steve Poston
Having spoken to residents and police officers alike, it is clear there is a need for a policing hub in South Woodford.
Following the mayor of London’s decision to close Woodford Green Police Station, local safer neighbourhood teams for Monkhams, Churchfields and South Woodford wards have lost the police station they used as a base and have instead been forced to travel to Barkingside police station to use its facilities, often on public transport.
This seems to be an extremely poor use of police time and resources. Officers have told me they feel they spend more time travelling to and from their wards than doing their job.
Reducing the travel time for the safer neighbourhoods teams would free up more resource hours to tackle local crime, such as car thefts and thefts of catalytic converters - an issue of real concern to my constituents.
Residents also agree that the area would benefit from a visible police base which would provide reassurance to residents and assist in building relationships with the community.
A local petition for a police hub has now received over 1,000 signatures and this number is increasing all the time, showing how important local people feel it is to have a police presence in their area.
You may also want to watch:
I have raised these issues, which I know matter a great deal to my constituents, directly with both the borough commander and the commissioner, Dame Cressida Dick.
Local people need to know the police officers that work in their neighbourhoods and feel reassured by a visible police presence.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 4 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 5 Five veggie-friendly restaurants in Redbridge, courtesy of TripAdvisor
- 6 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 7 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 8 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 9 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
- 10 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August