I’ll have two lightbulbs and a hamster please - Wanstead pet shop expands into DIY sales
Wanstead residents can take care of their DIY and pet needs in one go now after the expansion of the Heads ‘N’ Tails store in High Street.
The pet shop has moved from its former home to a larger space next door and it will now stock hardware, household and kitchenware items.
Manager Trevor Spicer and owner Mas Beg, named shopkeeper of the year by the Wanstead Society in 2010, got the keys to their new premises just before Christmas.
After fitting it out, it is now open for business with an official launch likely to be held next weekend.
Mr Spicer said the shop was looking to take advantage of a gap in the market following the departure of Woolworths and a builders’ merchants from the area.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Customers used to come in [to the old shop] for other bits and pieces, nails and screws.
“We did a little bit in the old shop, but now we can do a lot more.
- 1 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 2 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 New trees to be planted at Fairlop Waters
- 5 Former Met worker sentenced for stealing lost property cash
- 6 Woodford Green pupil reaches final of national science and engineering competition
- 7 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 8 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Redbridge tutor receives MBE
- 9 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 10 Redbridge pupils shortlisted in competition to design Olympic Park pavilion
“It’s marvellous, it’s gone down well with the locals, they’ve been waiting as long as us for us to go in there.”
The shop stocks a range of pets, including rabbits, hamsters and birds, as well as pet supplies.