Husband and wife team celebrate 25 years of Newbury Park newsagent
- Credit: Archant
A Newbury Park newsagent is celebrating 25 years of being in business.
Owners Ashwin and Lisa Vajir opened Fags and Mags, in Ley Street, in January 1988.
Ashwin, 57, said: “I was working in the civil service but my wife was interested in it and wanted to be a business woman.
“It wasn’t possible for just one person to run it so I left my job and joined her.
“I thought we would maybe do it for a couple of years and moved on but then we had children and settled.”
You may also want to watch:
Son Mehul and daughter Rima both helped in the shop as children and may one day take it over when their parents retire.
The shop has seen many changes, including the introduction of mobile phone top ups and Oyster cards.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 7 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 8 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 9 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 10 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
For Ashwin, the shop is a part of the community.
He said: “We became a shop that everyone knows and they come in to talk.
“We see the children who do our paper rounds grow up and then they bring in their children.
“We’ll be here for a few more years yet.”