Husband and wife team celebrate 25 years of Newbury Park newsagent
- Credit: Archant
A Newbury Park newsagent is celebrating 25 years of being in business.
Owners Ashwin and Lisa Vajir opened Fags and Mags, in Ley Street, in January 1988.
Ashwin, 57, said: “I was working in the civil service but my wife was interested in it and wanted to be a business woman.
“It wasn’t possible for just one person to run it so I left my job and joined her.
“I thought we would maybe do it for a couple of years and moved on but then we had children and settled.”
You may also want to watch:
Son Mehul and daughter Rima both helped in the shop as children and may one day take it over when their parents retire.
The shop has seen many changes, including the introduction of mobile phone top ups and Oyster cards.
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 5 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 6 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 7 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
For Ashwin, the shop is a part of the community.
He said: “We became a shop that everyone knows and they come in to talk.
“We see the children who do our paper rounds grow up and then they bring in their children.
“We’ll be here for a few more years yet.”