How to make a bus driver happy
- Credit: Archant
Spitting, threats and swearing are just some of the things a bus driver says he has to put up with from passengers while driving from Oxford Circus to Ilford.
Tom Mckerr, of Gidea Park, has been driving the number 25 for the past two years and features in BBC2 documentary Route Masters.
He said that at first he did not want to be included on the documentary and it was only when he gave the film crew a lift home he ended up being included.
He said often when people cannot pay, or do not want to, they become abusive.
“I have been threatened and spat at many times, with threats to beat me up and stab me. I’ve been sworn at in a number of languages but it’s just a minority.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s nice when the public are leaving the bus and say ‘thank you driver’,” he added. “It makes you feel good when they acknowledge you.”
- 1 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 2 Ilford GP criticises NHS patient data sharing plans
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 Ilford's Mercato Metropolitano to open in November
- 5 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 6 Man with Hainault links wanted on recall to prison
- 7 Man jailed after gun and cocaine worth £1m found at Ilford home
- 8 Pupils prepare for summer singing festival at Kenneth More Theatre
- 9 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 10 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower