High-speed crash killed motorcyclist and catapulted parked van 16 metres on A12 at Newbury Park

PUBLISHED: 13:11 12 March 2018 | UPDATED: 10:36 13 March 2018

Floral tributes to a motorcyclist killed on the A12 in Newbury Park after a collision with a cyclist. Picture Ken Mears

Floral tributes to a motorcyclist killed on the A12 in Newbury Park after a collision with a cyclist. Picture Ken Mears


A motorcyclist died after colliding with a cyclist and hitting a parked van at speeds of almost 100mph an inquest heard.

Waseem Akhtar. of Blackthorn Road, Ilford, was travelling on the A12, Newbury Park on May 24, 2017, when he clipped the handlebars of a bike, and lost control of his motorbike, crashing into a van.

The force of the collision, which witnesses described as sounding like “metal on metal”, caused the parked van to be catapulted 16 metres down the A12.

Pc Clive Austin of the forensic collision investigation unit gave evidence at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court, Queens Road, Walthamstow on Friday (March, 9)

“(Mr Akhtar) covered 42 metres in a second, which equates to 94mph before the collision,” he said.

“If he had been travelling at 40mph he would have covered the road in 11 seconds.”

After investigating the scene and reviewing CCTV footage Pc Austin said the cyclist, Jose Cabral-Pereira, was riding along the left hand lane of the A12.

He looked over his shoulder twice before moving towards the second dual carriage lane to turn into a pedestrian crossing.

Although not a common manoeuvre Mr Cabral-Pereira was not breaking any laws by doing it and the carriage would have looked clear at the time he checked.

Mr Akhtar only had “three seconds” to react due to the speeds of which he was travelling at and despite sharply breaking he grazed the bike’s handlebars.

Pc Austin said the motorcycle’s back wheels most probably locked and Mr Akhtar lost control causing him to hit the van.

A witness statement was read out on behalf of a senior paramedic who was one of the first people to attend to Mr Akhtar.

He said that as he approached, Mr Akhtar was not breathing and chest compressions were not effective.

He was pronounced dead at 2.18pm.

Mr Cabral-Pereira received a big blow to the head, fractures, four broken ribs, separated right hand, 14 stitches and bruising to his body.

Senior coroner, Nadia Persaud, recorded the cause of death as a road traffic collision.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder