Flashback: A pensioner saved from a pan fire, a disobedient bladder to the rescue and two widowers find love
PUBLISHED: 07:00 11 February 2018
1998: A pensioner was saved from the flames of his smoke-filled kitchen fire by his neighbour, an off-duty firefighter.
Steve Wells, who was based Woodford Green Fire Station, Snakes Lane West, was building a rabbit hutch in his garden as he heard his neighbour’s smoke alarm.
Steve rushed to the back of Eddie Hurley’s garden to see thick black smoke coming out.
Steve said: “I took a big breath and crawled down onto my hands and knees and found him standing there in the kitchen.”
Eddie, 79, had left a pan on the cooker while watching football on television in his home in Loughton.
1978: A four-year-old was saved from a bedroom blaze thanks to wetting the bed.
The little boy had moved to his parents’ bedroom when an electric blanket overheated and started a fire in his room.
Firefighters called to the home in Burrows Road, Hainault, said he would have choked to death if he had been in the room.
The boy’s mum said: “I know wetting the bed has its drawbacks but we are glad it happened. He is lucky to be alive. We are normally so careful about electric plugs, but I suppose it was just one of those things.”
1958: Love triumphed for a couple in their seventies who finally married after two years of difficulties.
Lily Sears, 71, and Harold Eke, 72, fell in love during a two-week holiday at Clacton with other members of Ilford Lane old age pensioners club in 1953. But, despite their desperate pleased to Ilford’s mayor and housing committee, they could not get married as they did not have their own home.
Both Lily and Harold lived with their relatives.
Their prayers were answered when their friends Harry and Mary Hoare, offered them two spare rooms at their home in Kingston Road.
Harold and Lily married at St Andrew’s Church, Ilford.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.