Help put smiles on faces – Recorder gets behind Mitzvah Day
- Credit: Archant
When was the last time you visited a care home?
The Recorder, in partnership with Mitzvah Day – a day of social action – is calling on readers to visit one of the more than 30 care homes across Redbridge to help put a smile on some faces.
Mitzvah Day falls on November 17, and for a third year we are getting behind the cause.
Our team of reporters will visit a care home in the borough in the next few weeks as part of the Sunshine to Seniors scheme, and you could do the same.
You may choose to share an activity with residents, share a story or simply lend a listening ear.
You may also want to watch:
Laura Marks, the founder and chairman of Mitzvah Day, said: “Thankfully Mitzvah Day’s Sunshine to Seniors lives up to its name and what it achieves with equal measure is to bring sunshine to those who volunteer and participate in numerous ways, returning year in and year out.
“On this Jewish-led day of social action and giving, laughter and smiles overflow from older person and participant alike. Spending time, doing enjoyable activities and simply sharing experiences is inter-generational interaction at its best.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Man taken to 'trauma centre' after head injury at Hainault station
- 6 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 7 Murder investigation launched after fatal stabbing of teen in Loxford
- 8 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 9 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 10 Man charged in connection with alleged police car ramming in Ilford
“The lives we all lead are so busy but donating just an hour or so of your time to visit really does make a difference not just for that hour but in immeasurable other ways.”
Mitzvah Day aims to bring together people of different ages, faiths and walks of life to improve the community.
Its founding principle is that time, not money, should be given to make a difference in the community.
Visit www.mitzvahday.org.uk/project-categories/categoryevents/4-time-for-seniors.html or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to visit a care home.
Visit Mitzvah Day’s website for other ideas.
And remember to email the Recorder with your planned projects, past stories, and photos so your experience can inspire other volunteers to connect with the elderly across the borough. Email email@example.com, or call 020 8477 3806.