Help bring joy to a disabled child by supporting Redbridge charity’s toy appeal
- Credit: Archant
Interface is calling for presents for Santa to give to children when he visits Mildmay Community Options centre in Albert Road, Ilford.
Asia Fazal, from the charity, said: “We know times are very hard for families but when you go shopping please spend a couple of extra pounds to get a child a present.”
There are about 1,800 disabled children in Redbridge and the charity expects more than 100 of them to visit Santa when he visits the centre on December 23.
Mrs Fazal said many disabled children are not able to visit other Santas as they can get impatient waiting for long periods and have difficulty understanding what is going on.
She added: “My son’s autistic and we cannot get him into a busy shopping centre. There are lots of complexities there.
You may also want to watch:
“Adults with special educational needs are also welcome to come as they might not get to see Santa otherwise and many of them have young mental ages.”
Suitable presents include puzzles, books, toys, stationery and teddy bears.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 5 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 6 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 7 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 8 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 9 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 10 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
“All we would ask is that the items are new,” Mrs Fazal said.
Interface, which was launched in 2009 for parents of disabled children, also has workshops for parents to support them in looking after their children.
Anyone with a disabled child is welcome to attend. This can be arranged by calling 020 8220 3970.
Donations of gifts can be dropped off at Mildmay Community Options from 9am-4.30pm.
Those making donations are asked to ensure they are clearly marked for Interface.