Hearing rules The Joker must stay closed for another three months after cannabis find
- Credit: Archant
The Joker pub in Seven Kings will be closed for another three months after its licence was suspended at a hearing.
A council licensing committee sat yesterday from 10.30am to 7.15pm to hear representations from police, pub owners and other parties in the case.
Police had asked Redbridge Council to suspend The Joker’s licence after a raid on October 2 uncovered cannabis plants in the cellar.
Yesterday, officers made their case to the committee along with pub managers and other parties wanting to make representations.
The hearing at Redbridge Town Hall in High Road, Ilford, was closed to the public and press for legal reasons.
You may also want to watch:
Councillors also ruled that the designated premises supervisor must be removed from the licence and replaced with someone else.
The suspension will not take effect for at least 21 days after the hearing to allow for appeals.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 5 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 8 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 9 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge
- 10 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
An appeal against the council ruling can be made to a Magistrates’ Court and overrule it if successful.
If no appeal is made, the suspension will automatically lift after three months, meaning The Joker can reopen.
The pub, in Cameron Road, was already facing demolition for a 19-apartment housing development with two retail units.
A 58-year-old man has been arrested and bailed until December 16, inquiries continue.