Young Hainault musician hopes to triumph in Mayor of London’s busking competition
- Credit: Lauren Doherty
A musician is hoping to be crowned busker of the year at the country’s biggest street music competition.
Katerina Leah, 25, a singer, songwriter and pianist from Hainault, hopes to win the title at Gigs - the Mayor of London’s annual search for the best young musicians.
The winner will receive music prizes, including a licence to busk on the underground, a busking trip to Paris, recording time at a top professional studio and a performance set at Glastonbury.
Katerina said: “My songs are a hybrid of pop, jazz and blues. I have been gigging in and around the UK for over 10 years and love to perform and connect with people through music”.
Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London, said: “Growing London’s cultural sector is one of my core priorities as mayor and I’m delighted to see fresh busking talent hitting the streets of the capital this summer.”
You may also want to watch:
Performances will take place at iconic locations around the capital until Saturday, August 7, with the grand finale at Westfield Stratford City on Sunday, September, 4.
Members of the public can vote for their favourite performance at london.gov.uk/gigs
- 1 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 2 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 3 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 4 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 5 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 6 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 7 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 8 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company