Save King George A&E meeting tonight
- Credit: Geoff Wilson
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting is holding a meeting for the campaign to save King George Hospital’s A&E department tonight.
Speaking at the event, held in the Lambourne Room, Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, are Dr Tony O’Sullivan and Vicky Penner.
Dr O’Sullivan is a paediatric consultant at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust and co-chair of the Keep Our NHS public group, and Ms Penner led the successful save Lewisham Hospital A&E campaign.
Mr Streeting, who has spearheaded the movement to save King George’s A&E department since being elected as an MP in May last year, will also be speaking.
He said: “Now is the time for the community to rally to save our local A&E department at King George Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
“Since the closure decision was taken in 2011 we’ve seen significant population growth, both of our local NHS trusts have been placed in special measures and GPs have struggled to cope.
“We’re calling on the Government to re-open the closure decision, look at the situation in north east London with a fresh pair of eyes and think again.”
- 1 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 2 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 3 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 4 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 5 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 6 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 9 Life sentence for Chigwell man convicted of murder
- 10 Council left homeless family 'stuck in cycle of instability', report finds
The Labour MP added he hoped there would be a fresh review and consultation before any changes to the service.
The meeting is from 7.30pm.