Save King George A&E meeting tonight
- Credit: Geoff Wilson
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting is holding a meeting for the campaign to save King George Hospital’s A&E department tonight.
Speaking at the event, held in the Lambourne Room, Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, are Dr Tony O’Sullivan and Vicky Penner.
Dr O’Sullivan is a paediatric consultant at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust and co-chair of the Keep Our NHS public group, and Ms Penner led the successful save Lewisham Hospital A&E campaign.
Mr Streeting, who has spearheaded the movement to save King George’s A&E department since being elected as an MP in May last year, will also be speaking.
He said: “Now is the time for the community to rally to save our local A&E department at King George Hospital.
“Since the closure decision was taken in 2011 we’ve seen significant population growth, both of our local NHS trusts have been placed in special measures and GPs have struggled to cope.
“We’re calling on the Government to re-open the closure decision, look at the situation in north east London with a fresh pair of eyes and think again.”
- 1 Caught on camera: 6 wanted fly-tippers and litterbugs
- 2 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 3 How many Covid patients are there in east London hospitals this week?
- 4 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Wendy's Ilford: New opening date for High Road restaurant after delay
- 6 Man allegedly commits GBH after robbing bottles of champagne from Tesco
- 7 'Truly inspiring' journalist returns to school to tell her story to students
- 8 Wendy's to open Ilford restaurant next week
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Redbridge Conservatives choose new leader
The Labour MP added he hoped there would be a fresh review and consultation before any changes to the service.
The meeting is from 7.30pm.