Save King George A&E meeting tonight
- Credit: Geoff Wilson
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting is holding a meeting for the campaign to save King George Hospital’s A&E department tonight.
Speaking at the event, held in the Lambourne Room, Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, are Dr Tony O’Sullivan and Vicky Penner.
Dr O’Sullivan is a paediatric consultant at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust and co-chair of the Keep Our NHS public group, and Ms Penner led the successful save Lewisham Hospital A&E campaign.
Mr Streeting, who has spearheaded the movement to save King George’s A&E department since being elected as an MP in May last year, will also be speaking.
He said: “Now is the time for the community to rally to save our local A&E department at King George Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
“Since the closure decision was taken in 2011 we’ve seen significant population growth, both of our local NHS trusts have been placed in special measures and GPs have struggled to cope.
“We’re calling on the Government to re-open the closure decision, look at the situation in north east London with a fresh pair of eyes and think again.”
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 8 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
The Labour MP added he hoped there would be a fresh review and consultation before any changes to the service.
The meeting is from 7.30pm.