Redbridge swimmers can dive into temporary pool in Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge swimmers can grab the chance for a dip in a new temporary swimming pool in Wanstead over the next 12 weeks.
The 12-metre pool was officially opened on Friday by six Redbridge councillors including council leader Cllr Keith Prince and Wanstead councillors Thomas Chan and Michelle Dunn.
It is hoped it will help to reduce the number of people on the waiting list for swimming lessons at the Fullwell Cross swimming pool, by providing a new venue for people to take their beginner strokes.
There are currently more than 1,000 people on the waiting list for lessons at the Fullwell Cross pool in High Street, Barkingside.
The Wanstead pool is being delivered by Total Swimming and the Amateur Swimming Association as part of the Mayor of London’s Make a Splash programme.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Prince said: “We are pleased the teaching pool in the grounds of Wanstead Leisure Centre has now opened.
“This new facility is key to ensuring children and adults learn to swim which is an essential life skill.”
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 4 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 5 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 6 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 7 Cycling access extended at Wanstead Park
- 8 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 9 Oxford student bids to improve top university access for state school pupils
- 10 Former Woodford Police Station could become office space