Redbridge swimmers can dive into temporary pool in Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge swimmers can grab the chance for a dip in a new temporary swimming pool in Wanstead over the next 12 weeks.
The 12-metre pool was officially opened on Friday by six Redbridge councillors including council leader Cllr Keith Prince and Wanstead councillors Thomas Chan and Michelle Dunn.
It is hoped it will help to reduce the number of people on the waiting list for swimming lessons at the Fullwell Cross swimming pool, by providing a new venue for people to take their beginner strokes.
There are currently more than 1,000 people on the waiting list for lessons at the Fullwell Cross pool in High Street, Barkingside.
The Wanstead pool is being delivered by Total Swimming and the Amateur Swimming Association as part of the Mayor of London’s Make a Splash programme.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Prince said: “We are pleased the teaching pool in the grounds of Wanstead Leisure Centre has now opened.
“This new facility is key to ensuring children and adults learn to swim which is an essential life skill.”
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 4 Man taken to 'trauma centre' after head injury at Hainault station
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 7 Murder investigation launched after fatal stabbing of teen in Loxford
- 8 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 9 Man charged in connection with alleged police car ramming in Ilford
- 10 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation