Redbridge swimmers can dive into temporary pool in Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge swimmers can grab the chance for a dip in a new temporary swimming pool in Wanstead over the next 12 weeks.
The 12-metre pool was officially opened on Friday by six Redbridge councillors including council leader Cllr Keith Prince and Wanstead councillors Thomas Chan and Michelle Dunn.
It is hoped it will help to reduce the number of people on the waiting list for swimming lessons at the Fullwell Cross swimming pool, by providing a new venue for people to take their beginner strokes.
There are currently more than 1,000 people on the waiting list for lessons at the Fullwell Cross pool in High Street, Barkingside.
The Wanstead pool is being delivered by Total Swimming and the Amateur Swimming Association as part of the Mayor of London’s Make a Splash programme.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Prince said: “We are pleased the teaching pool in the grounds of Wanstead Leisure Centre has now opened.
“This new facility is key to ensuring children and adults learn to swim which is an essential life skill.”
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly woman dies in Clayhall
- 2 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 3 Redbridge pubs gear up for outdoor opening
- 4 Criticism of 'comedy of errors' consultation for Wanstead flat extension plans
- 5 South Woodford restaurant owner excited for return of diners
- 6 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 7 Man in hospital after being slashed multiple times in Wanstead
- 8 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 9 Prince Philip death: Redbridge pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh
- 10 Jailed: Seven Kings man gets 14 years for hammer attack