Redbridge’s King George could become ‘community plus hospital’, says chief executive
King George Hospital could function as a “community plus hospital” when A&E and maternity services transfer to Queen’s, the chief executive of Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust has said.
Avril Dongworth said the hospital will exist in five years, providing slightly different services to now.
But two Redbridge MPs have questioned her broad vision.
Ms Dongworth said: “King George will be providing the appropriate services to support Queen’s and supporting what GPs want that might not need the full benefit of a district general hospital.
“I would say King George might be a community plus hospital.”
You may also want to watch:
Lee Scott, the MP for Ilford North, said: “We will be lobbying the GPs’ consortium once it’s in place to keep the services there There will always be a role for King George’s and the secretary of state for health [Andrew Lansley] has made it clear he is not considering the closure of any hospitals in London.”
Mike Gapes, MP for Ilford South, said King George would become “a minor hospital dealing with minor injuries” should it lose its A&E and maternity wards.
- 1 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 2 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 3 South Woodford post office to close in the spring
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 6 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 7 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 8 South Woodford flat 'has parties several times a week during lockdown'
- 9 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 10 Tributes paid to Ilford jazz legend Keith Nichols, who died from Covid
He said: “I think it’s deplorable, to take away services from Ilford residents, forcing them to go Queen’s to have their babies and there’s no way Queen’s is capable of coping, that’s why Averil Dongworth is trying to get work transferred from King George Hospital but she was blocked.
? Read our full interview with Ms Dongworth in next week’s Recorder.