‘No timeline for closure of Redbridge’s A&E’, says health chief

A plan is being worked on with the Department of Health which will set the wheels in motion for Redbridge’s A&E unit to close, it has been revealed.

But borough hospital trust chief executive Averil Dongworth said it was “impossible” to give a timeline for closure of King George’s A&E in Barley Lane, Goodmayes, while Queen’s, Romford, remains under pressure.

She told Tuesday’s health scrutiny committee meeting in Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, that the design of Queen’s A&E needs to change.

Last week the Recorder reported on a two-year plan for this to happen, as revealed to Havering Council’s joint health overview and scrutiny committee by the trust.

But Mrs Dongworth said: “It’s impossible to come out with a plan to change A&E while there is work ongoing.

“There is still some way to go for services at Queen’s A&E and other parts of the hospital before they are in a position to take on patients that would come from King George A&E’s closure.

“Until Queen’s is able to see a minimum of 95 per cent of patients within four hours, there’s no way we can even think about putting a time on it. For me that’s a given.”

Most Read

She also said it was important patients were treated and dealt with in a “timely way”.