‘No evidence’ for Wanstead Hospital decision referral says Redbridge Council health boss
- Credit: Archant
A councillor has admitted there is little evidence supporting calls to refer a decision over the future of Wanstead Hospital to the Secretary of State.
The Heronwood and Galleon wards at the Makepeace Road site, which provide intermediate care for people leaving hospital after operations, are set to be closed, with beds across Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham centralised at King George Hospital.
Redbridge Council’s health scrutiny committee is expected to make a decision on the referral at its meeting on Monday, but a report compiled by a working group found little evidence supporting it.
Cllr Mark Santos, cabinet member for health and social care, said: “I’m confident it’s been looked at fully. We have been robust in our challenge and seeking assurances.
“I’m sure there will be some people that will be disappointed but it would appear there’s no evidence for us to make such a referral.”
You may also want to watch:
Helen Zammett, who is campaigning to save the wards, urged people to attend the meeting at 7.15pm on Monday in Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford.
“We need to focus on why the referral must go ahead,” she said.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 5 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 6 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 9 From City Hall: Increase of council tax a slap in the face for every struggling Londoner
- 10 Consultation for School Streets expansion extended