New swimming pool will be built in Wanstead within the year
- Credit: Archant
Building work on a new swimming pool in Wanstead will begin within a year, Redbridge’s Labour administration has said.
Speaking at a Local Forum meeting at Wanstead House Community Association on Tuesday, council leader Cllr Jas Athwal said the “first spade will be in the ground” in the next 12 months.
The plans will be put to cabinet and the local authority is hoping Sports England will contribute to the cost.
Although the location of the pool has not been confirmed, Cllr Athwal said it would be about 250 metres from where he was sitting, in The Green, Wanstead.
“Pools provide an inclusive hub for our community helping the health and wellbeing of our residents,” he explained.
You may also want to watch:
“The Conservatives left our borough with one pool and we will be completing our first term in administration with Goodmayes pool built by March, public use of Loxford and Ilford County School pools and this one on the way”
“We are rebuilding our borough after years of neglect, rebuilding facilities that were closed down and saving others like libraries and gyms, all of which bring people together.”
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 6 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 7 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 10 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
The leader said that even with government cuts, the council is still being “innovative with funding and listening to residents’ needs.”