New swimming pool will be built in Wanstead within the year
- Credit: Archant
Building work on a new swimming pool in Wanstead will begin within a year, Redbridge’s Labour administration has said.
Speaking at a Local Forum meeting at Wanstead House Community Association on Tuesday, council leader Cllr Jas Athwal said the “first spade will be in the ground” in the next 12 months.
The plans will be put to cabinet and the local authority is hoping Sports England will contribute to the cost.
Although the location of the pool has not been confirmed, Cllr Athwal said it would be about 250 metres from where he was sitting, in The Green, Wanstead.
“Pools provide an inclusive hub for our community helping the health and wellbeing of our residents,” he explained.
“The Conservatives left our borough with one pool and we will be completing our first term in administration with Goodmayes pool built by March, public use of Loxford and Ilford County School pools and this one on the way”
“We are rebuilding our borough after years of neglect, rebuilding facilities that were closed down and saving others like libraries and gyms, all of which bring people together.”
- 1 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
- 2 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 3 Lightbulb likely cause of Khartoum Road house fire
- 4 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 5 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 6 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 7 Caught on camera: 6 wanted fly-tippers and litterbugs
- 8 Elizabeth Line opens: Londoners enjoy first day of service
- 9 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 10 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
The leader said that even with government cuts, the council is still being “innovative with funding and listening to residents’ needs.”