New swimming pool will be built in Wanstead within the year
- Credit: Archant
Building work on a new swimming pool in Wanstead will begin within a year, Redbridge’s Labour administration has said.
Speaking at a Local Forum meeting at Wanstead House Community Association on Tuesday, council leader Cllr Jas Athwal said the “first spade will be in the ground” in the next 12 months.
The plans will be put to cabinet and the local authority is hoping Sports England will contribute to the cost.
Although the location of the pool has not been confirmed, Cllr Athwal said it would be about 250 metres from where he was sitting, in The Green, Wanstead.
“Pools provide an inclusive hub for our community helping the health and wellbeing of our residents,” he explained.
You may also want to watch:
“The Conservatives left our borough with one pool and we will be completing our first term in administration with Goodmayes pool built by March, public use of Loxford and Ilford County School pools and this one on the way”
“We are rebuilding our borough after years of neglect, rebuilding facilities that were closed down and saving others like libraries and gyms, all of which bring people together.”
- 1 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 2 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 3 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 9 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 10 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
The leader said that even with government cuts, the council is still being “innovative with funding and listening to residents’ needs.”