New swimming pool will be built in Wanstead within the year
- Credit: Archant
Building work on a new swimming pool in Wanstead will begin within a year, Redbridge’s Labour administration has said.
Speaking at a Local Forum meeting at Wanstead House Community Association on Tuesday, council leader Cllr Jas Athwal said the “first spade will be in the ground” in the next 12 months.
The plans will be put to cabinet and the local authority is hoping Sports England will contribute to the cost.
Although the location of the pool has not been confirmed, Cllr Athwal said it would be about 250 metres from where he was sitting, in The Green, Wanstead.
“Pools provide an inclusive hub for our community helping the health and wellbeing of our residents,” he explained.
You may also want to watch:
“The Conservatives left our borough with one pool and we will be completing our first term in administration with Goodmayes pool built by March, public use of Loxford and Ilford County School pools and this one on the way”
“We are rebuilding our borough after years of neglect, rebuilding facilities that were closed down and saving others like libraries and gyms, all of which bring people together.”
- 1 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Chadwell Heath academy
- 2 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 3 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 4 Police and council join forces to help raise Covid awareness
- 5 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 6 Council must pay £4,500 for failing disabled brothers
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 9 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 10 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
The leader said that even with government cuts, the council is still being “innovative with funding and listening to residents’ needs.”