Locals get first look at new Goodmayes leisure centre and sports complex
- Credit: Archant
A new Goodmayes leisure centre and sports complex has opened its doors to neighbours for an exclusive look.
Kinfauns Road and Castleton Road residents were invited to take a sneak peak at Mayfield Leisure Centre, in Kinfauns Road, before it opened its doors to the public yesterday,(Monday, November 12).
Its facilities include a six-lane 25-metre pool, a multi-purpose studio, a 40-station hi-tech gym and “changing village”.
The council has invested £4million in the centre, with £750,000 provided through the National Lottery’s Sport England Strategic Facilities Fund.
Council leader Jas Athwal said: “It gives me great pleasure to see this impressive leisure centre open to the public.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope the scale and quality of these state-of-the-art facilities will encourage residents, of all ages, to take part in physical activity and take control of their health and well-being.”
The swimming pool and gym will be open to the public from 7am to 9.30pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 5.30pm at weekends.
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 7 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 8 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 9 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 10 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
The centre will offer a programme of classes including yoga, box-fit, zumba and body max alongside specialist sessions for youth fitness and active lifestyles.
Swimming lessons are also on offer as well as general, women, family and adult sessions.
Mayfield School’s sports facilities have also been revamped with an “all-weather 3G floodlit pitch”, multi-use games area and sports hall.
David Backhouse, chairman of governors at Mayfield School, said: “We are delighted at the full range of sporting and leisure facilities the school and Vision collectively can offer to the local community – and on their doorstep.”
The sports facilities are open to the public from 5.30pm to 9.30pm during term time, 9am to 5pm at weekends and 9am to 9.30pm during school holidays.
Vision is offering a range of leisure memberships at Mayfield Leisure Centre, as well as discounts for Redbridge residents aged 16 to 17 or over 60 - visit the centre to find out more.
To register interest in swimming lessons, please visit www.vision-rcl.org.uk/mayf-swimlesson.html
Clubs interested in a block booking for the sports halls or the 3G pitch email firstname.lastname@example.org