Locals get first look at new Goodmayes leisure centre and sports complex
- Credit: Archant
A new Goodmayes leisure centre and sports complex has opened its doors to neighbours for an exclusive look.
Kinfauns Road and Castleton Road residents were invited to take a sneak peak at Mayfield Leisure Centre, in Kinfauns Road, before it opened its doors to the public yesterday,(Monday, November 12).
Its facilities include a six-lane 25-metre pool, a multi-purpose studio, a 40-station hi-tech gym and “changing village”.
The council has invested £4million in the centre, with £750,000 provided through the National Lottery’s Sport England Strategic Facilities Fund.
Council leader Jas Athwal said: “It gives me great pleasure to see this impressive leisure centre open to the public.
“I hope the scale and quality of these state-of-the-art facilities will encourage residents, of all ages, to take part in physical activity and take control of their health and well-being.”
The swimming pool and gym will be open to the public from 7am to 9.30pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 5.30pm at weekends.
- 1 Pair charged with creating fake Covid vaccination records
- 2 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 3 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 4 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 5 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
- 6 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 7 Fairlop man locked up for rabbi assault
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 London among areas where drought is declared
- 10 Jailed: Ilford fraudster involved in £13m Ponzi scheme through property fraud
The centre will offer a programme of classes including yoga, box-fit, zumba and body max alongside specialist sessions for youth fitness and active lifestyles.
Swimming lessons are also on offer as well as general, women, family and adult sessions.
Mayfield School’s sports facilities have also been revamped with an “all-weather 3G floodlit pitch”, multi-use games area and sports hall.
David Backhouse, chairman of governors at Mayfield School, said: “We are delighted at the full range of sporting and leisure facilities the school and Vision collectively can offer to the local community – and on their doorstep.”
The sports facilities are open to the public from 5.30pm to 9.30pm during term time, 9am to 5pm at weekends and 9am to 9.30pm during school holidays.
Vision is offering a range of leisure memberships at Mayfield Leisure Centre, as well as discounts for Redbridge residents aged 16 to 17 or over 60 - visit the centre to find out more.
To register interest in swimming lessons, please visit www.vision-rcl.org.uk/mayf-swimlesson.html
Clubs interested in a block booking for the sports halls or the 3G pitch email email@example.com