New leisure facilities ‘could be built in Seven Kings’ but no promises from council
- Credit: Archant
New leisure facilities could be built in Seven Kings, less than a mile from the demolished pool, according to councillors.
Redbridge Council leader Cllr Keith Prince visited the Seven Kings lorry park, in High Road, with cabinet members as part of a “site inspection” on Sunday.
The lorry park was previously earmarked for a new pool in plans for a relocated Redbridge College in 2010 but the move fell through.
It has been home to the John Barker Centre, a unit for pupils excluded from mainstream schools, since 2011 but the area is now being assessed for development.
Cllr Prince and Cllr Ashok Kumar, the cabinet member for leisure, met residents at the site as part of the event organised by Cllr Ali Hai.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Hai hailed the visit a success and said he had “great confidence” in the council leadership to deliver on demands for new facilities.
He added: “It’s not just about a pool, it’s leisure and community facilities that are much needed in the south of the borough.”
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 4 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 5 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 10 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
No proposals have been drawn up and no plans have been submitted.
Cllr Prince made no commitment to a development at the lorry park or a pool as part of leisure facilities.
He added: “We haven’t got the money to deal with a large leisure complex at this moment in time but I’m very aware of the under provision of swimming facilities.
“We are looking at all the options and I’m very keen to provide something.”