New leisure facilities ‘could be built in Seven Kings’ but no promises from council
- Credit: Archant
New leisure facilities could be built in Seven Kings, less than a mile from the demolished pool, according to councillors.
Redbridge Council leader Cllr Keith Prince visited the Seven Kings lorry park, in High Road, with cabinet members as part of a “site inspection” on Sunday.
The lorry park was previously earmarked for a new pool in plans for a relocated Redbridge College in 2010 but the move fell through.
It has been home to the John Barker Centre, a unit for pupils excluded from mainstream schools, since 2011 but the area is now being assessed for development.
Cllr Prince and Cllr Ashok Kumar, the cabinet member for leisure, met residents at the site as part of the event organised by Cllr Ali Hai.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Hai hailed the visit a success and said he had “great confidence” in the council leadership to deliver on demands for new facilities.
He added: “It’s not just about a pool, it’s leisure and community facilities that are much needed in the south of the borough.”
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 4 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 7 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 8 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 9 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 10 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
No proposals have been drawn up and no plans have been submitted.
Cllr Prince made no commitment to a development at the lorry park or a pool as part of leisure facilities.
He added: “We haven’t got the money to deal with a large leisure complex at this moment in time but I’m very aware of the under provision of swimming facilities.
“We are looking at all the options and I’m very keen to provide something.”