Music all night for 24 hour hospital radio marathon in Goodmayes
The music didn’t stop all night at a Goodmayes hospital radio station on Saturday, as presenters powered through a 24 hour marathon.
The Jumbo Sound, which covers King George and Goodmayes Hospital, holds the event every year to raise funds for the station.
Shows ran non-stop from noon on Saturday to noon on Sunday with special guests including the Mayor of Redbridge, Cllr Muhammed Javed.
Presenter Philip Lester said: “We had an awful lot of fun and hopefully when the money comes through we will have raised a lot of funds.
“It costs nearly �4,000 a year to keep us going with all the things we do. We’re on seven days a week and 24 hours a day.
“Our first consideration is for the patients and we like to entertain them because it’s part of helping get them back in good health and they enjoy it.”
Mr Lester, 69, of South Woodford, hopes the event will have raised between �1,000 and �1,500.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 3 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 4 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 5 'There was no life without resistance': World War Two veteran dies aged 94
- 6 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 7 Bus timetable change to 'better align' with hospital shifts
- 8 Dog units 'really good tool' to help police tackle violent crime, officers say
- 9 Driver charged in connection with fatal collision on M11 due in court
- 10 Ex football boss sets up fans club to increase diversity at England games
He was joined by the mayor to start the marathon.
Cllr Javed said: “It was very good, I was please to speak to patients and I think it was well received.
“The hospital radio staff all give up so much of their time for others.”
The marathon was sponsored by Kanchans Restaurant, in Gants Hill, P&S Chemist, in Ilford, and the Ilford Exchange.
Listen to the Jumbo Sound at www.thejumbosound.com.