MP Wes Streeting to take battle to save King George A&E to the streets
- Credit: Jay Asher
A petition to save the borough’s only A&E will be visiting 35,000 Redbridge homes in the coming weeks.
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting will be taking the parliamentary petition, which already has 10,000 signatures, to homes across the borough to show the widespread public support for the campaign.
Copies of the petition will also be sent to every home in the constituency for residents to sign and return via freepost.
Mr Streeting said: “We now know that the Government’s decision to close King George A&E means that we’re set to lose the service in just over two years’ time.
“As we head into the difficult winter months, we know just how much our local NHS struggles to cope as it is, so I hope that local residents will rally behind our campaign to save our A&E.”
You may also want to watch:
Earlier this month the Recorder reported how plans had been unveiled to finalise the closure of the A&E at King George hospital, in Barley Lane, Goodmayes, and convert it to an urgent care unit by 2019.
But Mr Streeting believes the majority of the borough are not in favour of such a move.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
He said: “Over 10,000 people have now signed our parliamentary petition, but this is just a fraction of those who support our A&E.
“We need everyone to show their support for the campaign, so we’ll be going door to door throughout December to get as many people signed up as possible.”