More than 200 people join bone marrow drive in Ilford to save boy’s life
- Credit: Archant
More than 200 people registered as bone marrow donors in Ilford on Saturday to help save a little boy’s life.
The family of six-year-old Rayaan Siddiqui held the drive outside Waterstones, in High Road, to attempt to find a match for a desperately needed transplant.
Rayaan, of Welling, has a rare blood cancer called hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH). which can lead to multiple organ failure and has an 100 per cent fatality rate if not sucessfuly treated.
Rayaan’s dad Ghazali Siddiqui said the medication and chemotherapy treatment his son is undergoing is “nothing more than a stop gap”.
He added: “I get the feeling people are scared by the prospect of hospitalisation when really it’s a simple procedure. We need people to come forward now.”
You may also want to watch:
His cousin Shakir Hafeez, of St Helens Road, Ilford, said a suitable donor needs to be found by early September.
Mr Hafeez will be running another drive in Valentines Park, Cranbrook Road, during the festival to celebrate Eid.
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 4 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 5 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 6 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 7 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
Rayaan’s relatives and charity workers from Delete Blood Cancer UK will be swab testing and registering more donors.
Asian donors are especially needed for a potential match. Visit the Hope 4 Rayaan Facebook page for more information on how to help.