Junior doctors row: Imposition of disputed contract paused to allow talks to resume
- Credit: Archant
Junior doctors in Ilford have agreed to halt further strikes as negotiations with the government restart.
Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has said he is willing to suspend the introduction of the new junior doctors’ contract for five days from Monday in order to allow further talks.
The long-running dispute saw junior doctors withdraw emergency care, for the first time ever, in two one-day strikes at King George Hospital, Barley Lane, Goodmayes, last week.
Consultants were called in to provide cover to affected departments, including A&E and intensive care.
Speaking outside the hospital, junior doctor Naomi Oliver, 27, said they had played their “last card.”
You may also want to watch:
She said: “This is the first full walk-out ever.
“None of us wanted to be out here today, but we needed to take this step.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 4 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 5 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 10 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
“I feel like we have played our last card but we are always willing to go back to the table for negotiations.”
Negotiations broke down in February over the issue of extended working hours and Saturday pay, which the Health Secretary says must now be the focus of new discussions.