Ilford London Underground worker wins British bodybuilding championship and crowned third in world
An Ilford bodybuilder came third in the world championships held in Miami, Los Angeles, last month.
Mark Houghton, of Thorold Road, was part of the British team for the international event, after becoming the Masters British Champion in September.
Mark, 47, works as a ticket office attendant on the London Underground but has been bodybuilding since he was a teenager.
After a lull in the 1990s and early 2000s, he started competing again in 2006.
He trains at Fit4less gym in Tower Hill three to four times a week and eats a special diet to maintain his physique.
He said: “You don’t have to go mad in the gym but you do have to watch what you eat and take stuff out with you.
“Competing looks quite easy but when you’re on stage it’s about 100 degrees under the lights and it’s absolutely exhausting.”
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman fatally attacked in Ilford
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of Ilford murder as police name victim
- 3 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Valentines Park
- 4 Homes under the Planner: Applications approved or refused in Redbridge
- 5 Air ambulance lands after man stabbed in South Woodford
- 6 Man denies committing GBH during alleged robbery at Barkingside Tesco
- 7 Guilty: Hainault man admits traffic light stabbing
- 8 Found: Missing girl who was believed to have travelled to east London
- 9 Teen found guilty of robbing boy, 12, in Romford while carrying knife
- 10 Goodmayes fatal stabbing: Double murder trial set to open
Bodybuilders have to compete in three rounds to demonstrate the symmetry of their muscles, perform compulsory poses and do a routine to music.
Mark said he was happy with his titles from this year and is taking a break before returning to compete in 2014.
“I’ll be doing a bit more socialising this year,” he said.