Ilford church rises from the rubble to hold official opening ceremony
- Credit: Archant
A church is to hold an official opening ceremony for its multi-million pound building tomorrow (Saturday).
The event at City Gates Church, Clements Road, Ilford, will be held between 3pm and 4.30pm followed by a celebration service at 6pm.
Dignitaries, including Cllr Gurdial Bhamra, Mayor of Redbridge, and community leaders will attend the event to join in the festivities.
The Church’s adminstrator, Michelle Ngabonziza said: “It’s overwhelming, we are finally going home.
“All of us, children, young people, adults, all our services can come together in one building, we can feel like we are all together.”
You may also want to watch:
Since work began on constructing the new building in 2010. services had been held at different venues, including the cinema Cineworld, Clements Road, Ilford.
In 2012, the under construction building unexpectedly came crashing to the ground.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 3 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 4 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Young Citizen: 'Our community needs us the most right now', says Mutual Aid volunteer
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 7 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 8 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 9 Inquest into murdered nursing student fails to establish cause of death
- 10 Wanstead wine expert launches new shop
Miraculously, even though 20 workmen had left the site minutes before the collapse, no one was seriously hurt.
The project was funded entirely by 1,200-strong congregation who gave willingly to raise the £7.5million needed to build the centre.
With five floors, the building boasts a large auditorium, office space, children’s facilities and even its own coffee shop.
Ms Ngabonziza continued: “It is amazing to feel that this is what the church has achieved.
“It is a nice building. It feels really good when we are in there.”
For more information, visit the “what’s on” page at citygates.london